Food Safety and Defense – Graduate Certificate
Food Safety and Defense
In an era of global food systems, effective control of foodborne hazards requires advanced education. The Food Safety and Defense online graduate certificate program serves the needs of industry and agencies that must protect the human food supply from accidental or deliberate contamination with pathogenic microbes and/or toxicants.
This online certificate allows food industry personnel to pursue more in-depth specialized training in food safety and security that is pertinent to their job while working full-time.
- Synthesize a current and multi-faceted picture of key food safety and security issues.
- Apply the scientific principles of microbial and chemical risk assessment and analysis to real world food safety and security issues.
- Analyze and apply the concepts of HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) programs, as well as other safety and security approaches, to the management of food safety and security in food systems.
- Evaluate food safety and security issues in the food industry using the perspectives of sound science, critical thinking, and ethical reasoning.
Iowa State University is a member of Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (GP IDEA), a consortium of universities that have come together to offer fully online degree programs. This collaboration provides Iowa State University students the opportunity to take course taught by early childcare faculty and professionals across the partner institutions.
- Academic Records
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
For specific program details, visit the Graduate College website.
Required credits: 12
The Course Planner provides a list of courses and shows when they are traditionally offered.
You may take up to nine graduate credit hours as a non-degree-seeking student before being formally admitted to the program. If you are interested in taking courses as a non-degree student, please start by applying as a non-degree student through the Admissions Office (link to non-degree application) and contact email@example.com to schedule your courses once your application has been approved.
As a member of GP IDEA, all students pay universal tuition. For more information, visit the GP IDEA website.